Thursday, December 23, 2010

My thoughts on Decibel's Top 40 of 2010

I have nothing but respect for Decibel. It is my main source of recommendations for music to check out. I make time for the magazine whereas I don't have time to trawl the internet.  But, just because I think it's the greatest magazine since well, ever, doesn't mean I always agree with their lists. Enjoy.
 
40. Darkthrone - Circle The Wagons: Haven't heard this one. Doubt it would make my list anyway. Black metal is really hit or miss with me.
39. Lantlos - .Neon: Who?
38. Hail of Bullets - On Divine Winds: I've only listened to this once so far. Didn't impress me as much as ...Of Frost and War. Martin Van Druren as awesome enough that I will make time to listen to this more so I can give it a proper rating.
37. The Dillinger Escape Plan - Option Paralysis: I'm surprised this is so low on their list. I'm more surprised that I like it as much as I do. Never really liked DEP before. This one is great though.
36. Decrepit Birth - Polarity: A little too technical for me. If I am in the mood for techy, I'd grab this one over most.
35. Intronaut - Valley of Smoke: I prefer the old Intronaut. Before they got all proggy. If I were bathed in a valley of smoke, this would be transcen-fucking-dental. Maybe next time I go green, this will be my soundtrack.
34. Early Graves - Goner: I love it when names/titles are appropriate. Not in this case. RIP Makh Daniels. (Btw, this album is fucking awesome)
33. The Body - All the Waters of the Earth Turn to Blood: Haven't been able to "acquire" this yet. I must try harder.
32. Father Befouled - Morbid Destitution of Covenant: I think this is one of those albums that REQUIRES that you listen to it many times before you can make an accurate judgement on it. That's my plan anyway. Second listen was better than the first, so it only follows....
31. Deftones - Diamond Eyes: WAY better than their last one. It's really pretty incredible. Should be higher than this on my list.
30. Nachtmystium - Addicts: Black Meddle Pt II: Is there something wrong with me? I just can't get into these guys.
29. Christian Mistress - Agony and Opium: Seriously? I've booed bar bands better than this.
28. Unearthly Trance - V: This motherfucker blew me away!!
27. Fear Factory - Mechanize: Totally surprised me that Decibel ranked this one. Glad they did though. I loved Dino-era FF. And I love this. One of the few albums I actually bought this year.
26. Pivixki - Gravissima: Say what? Who? Avant-garde pianist? Free grind? No thanks.
25. Withered - Dualitas: Are you kidding me? 25?! Fuck no! Must be much higher! Possible AOTY!!
24. Ghost - Opus Eponymous: See Christian Mistress. I don't know what the big deal is.
23. Integrity - The Blackest Curse: This is pretty kick ass. I don't know if I'd rank it this high but it's fighting for a spot on my Top 40.
22. Kvelertak - Kvelertak: This is a "holy fuck!" album. As in, Holy Fuck this is good! and Holy Fuck what is going on!? Holy Fuck!!
21. Deathspell Omega - Paracletus: Meh.
20. Electric Wizard - Black Masses: Those who know me best know I love EW. The music itself makes me high. And when I AM high, look out.
19. Atheist - Jupiter: I don't like Cynic, Obscura, Periphery or other super-techy death metal bands either.
18. Burzum - Belus: I don't care if he's a church-burning murderer. This album is awesome.
17. High on Fire - Snakes for the Divine: Another of the few albums I actually bought at a store this year. Matt Pike is god.
16. Kylesa - Spiral Shadow: I still haven't finished transcribing my interview with Philip and Laura about Static Tensions (My AOTY for '09). This is one won't top my list this year but it should come close. Love it!
15. Horseback - The Invisible Mountain: Yeah, I don't dig the vibe.
14. Coliseum - House With a Curse: Why haven't I heard this yet?
13. Sailors With Wax Wings - Sailors With Wax Wings: Sounds like Pyramids, eh? Zzzzzzzzzzzz
12. Immolation - Majesty and Decay: Fuck yes.
11. Castevet - Mounds of Ash: Good. Not #12 good.
10. The Austerity Program - Backsliders and Apostates Will Burn: Haven't heard this yet but I don't think I'll like it anyway.
9. Nails - Unsilent Death: Heard nothing but good things about this. But still have not actually heard it. Must rectify.
8. Thou - Summit. I don't know if I would rank it this high but it's pretty fucking awesome.
7. Ludicra - The Tenant: Deserves to be this high based on the riff in "In Stable" alone.
6. Torche - Songs for Singles: I'm really slacking. I haven't got around to this yet.
5. Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini: I want to like Enslaved, I really do. But I respect the hell out of them.
4. Dawnbringer - Nucleus: I think I tried to listen to this but couldn't finish it.  Not my bag.
3. Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones: I feel shame. I haven't got around to this one either.
2. Watain - Lawless Darkness: One of the best black metal releases of the year but #2 overall? I don't know about that.
1. Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit: I really am a slacker. It's on my "to download" list.

No comments:

Post a Comment