Sunday, November 20, 2011

I'm Not Going To See Devin Townsend?

The Devin Townsend Project (We must be specific here) is playing a show a half hour drive from my house in a few weeks. I don't think I'll go. This seems like a form of blasphemy. We are talking about Hevy Devy. Playing a small club. Close to me. How could I NOT go? Well, here's a few reasons.
1) It's The Devin Townsend PROJECT.
2) It's NOT Strapping Young Lad.
3) They won't be playing Physicist in its entirety.(I fucking LOVE that album.)
4) It's not Ocean Machine: Biomech.
5) It's not Terria.
6) It's not Infinity.
7) It's not the Devin Townsend BAND. (Accelerated Evolution through The Hummer (I've never heard The Hummer.))
8) It's not Punky Bruster. (picture a couple dots over the "u". I can't do umlauts with this keyboard.)
9) It's not even Ziltoid.
10) It's NOT STRAPPING YOUNG LAD.
Now, I am sure they will play at least one or two songs that aren't part of the Ki/Addicted/Deconstruction/Ghost quadrilogy but that's not enough for me. I think Devin Townsend is an incredible artist, musician, and songwriter. I think he is a visionary legend of Canadian metal artists. But that doesn't make his music infallible. I applaud him for his drive and his ability to step outside of what is expected of him and create what he wants. But that doesn't mean I have to like it. The DTP never really did anything for me. Perhaps in the right environment, under the right circumstances, something might resonate with me (for instance, live and "enhanced").  But what little enjoyment I drew from those albums wasn't enough for me to make the monetary and time commitment necessary to attend the show. It's more like 45 minutes. Over 100km round trip.. Gas ain't cheap. You never know though. It might be on whatever night Glee is on and I might go just so I'm not in the same house as a TV that is showing it. But at this point I just can't see myself going. With my luck, it will totally kick ass and I will forever regret not going. Maybe I should go. When is it again? Well shit. I have to work that night anyway! That pretty much negates any need for my argument doesn't it?  Availability notwithstanding, the above reasoning still holds true.

No comments:

Post a Comment