Saturday, October 5, 2024

Album of the Month - September 2024: Slomosa - 'Tundra Rock'



Back in the dark times, August 2020 to be exact, a band from Norway named Slomosa released their self-titled album. I had no idea. Then, about 3 YEARS later I stumbled upon "Horses" on the WEEDIAN "Trip to Norway" compilation and found my socks on the other side of the room. Late to the party or what, man?! Being unaware of their awesomeness for 3 years when I could have been feeding Slomosa to my internal heppy place that whole time is a sad feeling. But! It means I only had to suffer through ONE year of waiting for MORE! MORE! MORE! The more we were all waiting for is 'Tundra Rock' and my socks are way the fuck over there again.



'Tundra Rock' is the perfect name to describe Slomosa. So self-aware. To paraphrase the band themselves, "it's like desert rock but since they're from Norway the desert is tundra." Not all deserts are sand. Snow and ice are smooth. Just like Slomosa, man. From the riffs to the tone to the timing and flow, it's all smooth. There's nothing wrong with the grit of "desert rock" bands like Kyuss of course. Bands like Slomosa wouldn't be around without them. It's like Slomosa used those desert sands to take the rust off an old machine and make it shine with a new energy that feels invigorating. Especially on 'Tundra Rock'. Song after song it pumps out banger after banger of intuitive songwritng full of sweet riffs maxed with fuzz and a chemistry you can feel.

Opener "Afghansk Rev" is a slow, thunderous build. You know it's working up to something. Like the opening song to a show where the lights aren't even on yet. Then it's high gear. Stoner rock at its best. Powerful riffs, tension, release, layers and nuance. "Rice" and "Cabin Fever" were the first singles release and they're also the first "full on" songs on the album. In fact the first four "full on" songs are the four singles but not in order. So the first half of the album was familiar before release. "Red Thundra" was last and coincided with the full album but I digress. Luckily picking a single from 'Tundra Rock' would be as easy as throwing darts at a board that's all bullseyes. They're all unmistakeably good and unmistakeably Slomosa.

As mentioned above, Ben Berdous (vocals/guitar), Marie Moe (bass/vocals), Tor Erik Bye (guitar), and Jard Hole (drums) have incredible chemistry. The way they play off and play into each other is just so good. Whether presenting a united wall of air-moving sound to push away the cold with warm tones or undulating in parallel, slightly out of phase like a pod of belugas playfully traversing the fjords the quartet feel entirely natural and instinctually cohesive. Listen to "Monomann" and you'll see. Barrelling riffs with little dips and swirls and various elements rising and falling against a force that just keeps propelling forward. That song's follow-up, "MJ" has some of the most Kyuss-y moments and album closer "Dune" is where you'll find a Clutch influence.

I don't think I'm alone in saying that Slomosa are creating special and lasting music. I know I'm not. From what I understand from the hole I live in they're so hot right now. I even read one redditor posit that in 30 years we'll be talking about Slomosa with the same reverence as we do with Kyuss today. That redditor wasn't me but I upvoted that hard. I sincerely hope Slomosa can keep it together longer though! In the tundra you have to stick together and stay close for warmth. That may play into our favour. In the meantime, 'Tundra Rock' (and 'Slomosa') will be more that enough to keep us comfortable until they're next batch tunes thaws from the permafrost.

Released September 13, 2024 on MNRK Heavy.

You can find "Monomann" on my As I Go September 2024 Spotift Playlist along with a bunch of other cool stoner rock. (and a little Slayer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment