Saturday, February 13, 2010

High On Fire - Snakes For The Divine

I'll have to admit, on first listen I was less than impressed. That's what shitty speakers will get you. With better audio, I got it. Well, for the most part. It wasn't really what I expected. It's still no doubt High On Fire, but they've taken some of the speed out. Not that it takes any of the power away though. It's still a huge sounding album. It trudges more than it gallops. Very well produced as well. The guitar is typical HoF tone but it sounds a little crisper. To me, the drums sound live. That's fuckin' cool. As far as Matt Pike's unmistakeable vocals go, I feel anguish, sorrow and bitterness. I don't know if that has anything to with the lyrical content, but that's the emotion I hear. I'm on my 3rd or 4th listen (it's on repeat) and it keeps getting better every time. It's surprising how damn catchy it is! The songs have a way of implanting on your brain. At least "Frost Hammer". I can't get it out of my head. Eventually I'll have to listen to something else but for now I'm perfectly content to soak in the genius/godliness of Matt Pike and co.

No comments:

Post a Comment