Thursday, September 1, 2011

Trivium - In Waves

I'm going to make this short and sweet. I've already wasted enough of my precious time by actually listening to it. You may fire when ready.
This sounds very familiar. Oh that's right. This dead horse and been beaten countless times by talented guitarists without a shred of originality.
And it sounds like just about every other Trivium album.
The harsh vocals are uninspired. The clean vocals are weak and whiny.
There is clean and harsh vocals. Metalcore bad/goodcop style.
18 tracks? Really? I thought Track 1 was just on repeat.
Nothing really grabbed my attention about this. I mean it. When I first listened to it, I was cutting grass. Mindless pacing back and forth. And In Waves failed to distract me even once.
The best track is the Sepultura cover. (Slave New World) Nothing special about it either. Note for note reiteration. Good choice though.
Somehow, I listened to it 3 times. That's 3x68 mins of my life I will never get back. In this case, I'm so glad I rarely have the time to dedicate solely to music. I got the grass cut, the kitchen cleaned and some reading done.
68 mins! That's a long time to listen to the same handful of riffs and chugs recycled ad nauseum. Somehow, random bits would get stuck in my head. And it annoyed the hell out of me. Catchy does not equal good.
Honestly, if you are even reading this, then you must be a metal fan. And if you are a metal fan, you probably know who Trivium is. And if you know who Trivium is, you know what they sound like. And if you know what they sound like, then you either think they kick major ass, or they need their asses majorly kicked.
Damn it! I just wasted another half hour on this crap. Good thing it wasn't the only thing I was doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment