Sunday, January 6, 2013

AOTY #36: Witchcraft - Legend


I've been a fan of Witchcraft for years. However, I must admit that Legend didn't wow me the way I hoped it would. The five year wait since The Alchemist most likely made my expectations higher than they should have been. The single "It's Not Because Of You" did lead to heavy repetition though. Thankfully after a few spins the strength of the album became apparent. It's all about the riffs on Legend. It's stupendously catchy from front to back and Magnus Pelander's voice begs to be sang along with. Did I mention the riffs? Just incredible. Every time I listen to this I love it more and more. Legend packs a retro feel, brilliant songwriting and plenty of soul into its 57 minutes. Oh and "White Light Suicide" may be one of the best songs I've heard all year. I do believe it is mandatory I get my dirty mitts on the vinyl version of this pronto. That being said, this isn't the best Swedish retro rockin' album on my list this year. Stay tuned.

Available from Nuclear Blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment