Friday, April 3, 2009

Sepultura - A-Lex

Sepultura - A-Lex: The Seps will just never be the same without Max. And now that they are Igor/Iggor?-less as well, their cause is not helped. This is one of those situations that has two sides. Side A: Knowing what Sepultura has done, it can be judged against that. Side B: Just look at the album as a stand alone.
Unfortunately, Side B just doesn't happen. Ya can't. So, compared to previous Sepultura efforts, it kinda blows. Compared to previous Derrick Green led Sepultura albums, it's kinda par for the course. It still carries a certain element that is unmistakably Sepultura but it doesn't hold a candle to anything done with Max.
I don't pay too much attention to lyrics for the most part (and I've never seen A Clockwork Orange. Sue me) so I don't get the concept of the album. Which if you haven't figured it out, is a concept album about A Clockwork Orange. I do know that the gang chant part during "Moloko Mesto" is annoying. I doesn't fit the pacing of the song. It sounds like someone was messing with Pro Tools and they didn't catch it before pressing. Also, I'm not a big fan of the little interlude type dittys between songs.
I do like this album, I may even buy it (I have them all). Don't think for a minute that a Cavalera-less Sepultura is anywhere near as good as classic Sep though. It's alot better than most of the stuff I've listened to lately (new Pestilence and Satyricon. First listens). Standard post-Max Sepultura.

No comments:

Post a Comment