Tuesday, April 27, 2010

New Soulfly tracks

So I've had the pleasure of hearing 2 tracks from the upcoming Soulfly release, Omen. Omen will be my album of the year. Yes, I am biased.

The 2 tracks the masses have been graced by are "Kingdom" and "Rise of the Fallen" (ft. Greg Puciato of DEP) Both songs are definitely Soulfly but aren't so heavy on the tribal influence.

"Rise of the Fallen" has some really cool elements to it. Namely Marc Rizzo. Dude is so good. Over Max's rythm riffs, Marc lays down some fancy fingerwork. It sounds almost electronic, or even robotic. To my knowledge, the song has nothing to do with the second Transformers movie, but the robotic guitar work and the title makes for a somewhat humorous connection. Might we see Megan Fox in the video? Please?  Other than that, Puciato's vocals are pretty killer. I've never really been a fan of Dillinger Escape Plan (or really gave them a chance) so I didn't know who the vocalist was at first. I was impressed. I like the power and rawness of his voice. The veins on his foreheard must be huge. So after hearing this track, I decided I should probably check out the new DEP release, Option Paralysis. While my socks remained on, it was the first Dillinger album I listened to all the way through. At the time it wasn't a terrible move, but Max and Co. sure have come a long way since "Bleed".

"Kingdom" falls a little more squarely into the Soulfly hole. Galloping riffs. Max's less-than-melodic vocals. Repetitive chorus. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a great song. I just doubt it's the best song on the album. It's muscular. It's headbang inducing. It's potentially dangerous to listen to while driving. It's damn catchy. Kind of bummed they never said Kingdom of Noise in the song though. Ah well.

If my memory serves me correctly, Omen will be released May 25, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment