Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Kylesa - Static Tensions basic review

Kylesa - Static Tensions (Prosthetic Records, Release Date March 17,2009): I would write a full-on review but this album kicks so much ass I would need way more time than I have right now. So, a basic review will have to do for now. I have to tell people about Static Tensions. I can't see anything (other than a new Clutch release) topping this monster album in 2009. It's perfect. Phillip Cope, Laura Pleasants and the boys have this incredible way of crafting these beautifully epic, heavy as fuck songs. But Static Tensions is more than just a collection of songs. It's a true album. While listening to it passively (while reading a book per se) the songs meld together and I hardly even notice it's a different track. Then, all too soon, it's over. So I listen to it again. It has totally dominated my ipod since I got it. I can't get over how great it sounds. Not just the songs themselves but the production. Phillip Cope is a fucking genius (He's worked with Baroness, Withered and I believe Blacktusk among others). If Kylesa had one drummer, I would sing them no less praises, but they have TWO!! It's so amazing to listen to because you don't hear the drums from the middle (of the car, of the room, of your head) but one drummer from the left and one from the right speaker/headphone. Indescribably awesome.

There are times when I can hear elements of Torche, Baroness and The Sword. There are even some black metal type drum parts that you might hear on a Withered track. Given the similar geography and the Cope factor, that is to be expected, but no less awesome. Makes you wonder though, "Did they get that from Band X, or did Band X get that from them?" I honestly don't care. There is also a vocal line sung by Laura that keeps reminding of the a couple lines in Pantera's Walk. I can't remember the lyrics right now but it's the part that ends with "...dawn of time." and then the RE - SPECT. WALK! I wonder what Laura would think of being a Phil Anselmo reminder.

Did I mention it has John Dyer Baizley cover art? Doesn't get any better than that.

There must be something in the water down in Georgia. It seems everything that is coming from down there is truly awesome. Although, I have heard the Atlanta weed is pretty good so maybe that has something to do with it.

I'll get to experience Kylesa live in May when they come to my hometown (close enough) with Intronaut. It's at a pretty small club so it should be fucking epic. I am trying to contact the band to setup an interview for that day. I hope it doesn't fall through like the Darkest Hour interview that never happened. I'd rather talk to Kylesa for my first Kingdom of Noise interview anyway.

Kylesa - Static Tensions: Fucking buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment