Friday, March 20, 2009

Obscura, Mastodon

Obscura - Cosmogenesis: Sorry. Not for me.Technically, sure, yeah, they can all play their asses off. But it's too much for me. It doesn't seem organic or natural enough. It's feels obvious how much planning went into it. I prefer stuff that sounds like it comes for from the heart. It's just to technical. I hate the bass tone and the vocal effects. HATE the vocal effects. That why I didn't like Cynic either. I made it through the whole album but I have no desire to listen to it again.

Mastodon - Crack the Skye: I haven't heard all of it yet. I haven't heard the 13 minute final track. I have heard alot about how people aren't too sure about it. Decibel said it's a grower, not a show-er. I agree. Even on first listen I liked it, but with each subsequent spin, it gets better. I get the feeling that if it wasn't Mastodon, I'd be reading things like "beautifully progressive", "epic post-metal" and stuff like. But since it IS Mastodon, people expect Leviathan, or Remission or Blood Mountain. Crack the Skye is different. It's nothing we haven't heard from Mastodon before, just not for a whole album. Still has the guitar work, Brann's unique drumming, Troy and Brent's dual vocals, epic passages and all that we know Mastodon for. It's just a different angle. It's a little refreshing that they are making the music they want to and not just what people expect them to. I am very interested in hearing the last track. I think it's called "The Last Baron", but without access to the Internet, I can't double check. The preorder from itunes has all 7 tracks as instrumentals, a live track and a digital copy of the booklet in addition to the 7 core tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment