Monday, December 19, 2011

#24: Burzum - Fallen

Yes, Varg Vikernes may be a despicable human being. But I don't really care about his personal life. I believe every man has the potential for redemption. I'm not making excuses for him but I also believe that much of people's behaviour is the product of an uncontrolled mind. Until that mind is controlled and pure, sentient beings cannot be held ultimately responsible for their mental, verbal or physical actions. (I'm talking time-space-continuum-across-all-universes-ultimate) But no wrong goes unpunished. Karma's a bitch, as they say. For that reason I am able to separate the man from the music. Don't get me wrong. I haven't actually purchased the album and you won't find me wearing a Burzum t-shirt. But I can evaluate Fallen (Byelobog/Candlelight) on its merits as a piece of music without a thought as to who created it. It's not a very powerful album per se, but it was able to capture me in other ways. Much like last year's Belus, I found myself sinking beneath the multiple layers and becoming entranced by the flowing tremolos. The highly repetitive nature of the album was actually quite relaxing. I guess you could say I consider it "chill out music". Whether the lyrics are being softly sung or a spitting rasp, it's all in Norwegian so I haven't a clue what he's singing about. Nor have I bothered to find out. I just take it as another instrument. Think of me what you will for promoting Burzum with my words if not my wallet, but remember I am talking about Fallen. This is Count Grishnackh and Burzum, not Varg when it comes right down to it. The man may make the music, but the music be not the man.

www.twitter.com/MetalMatt_KofN

No comments:

Post a Comment