Sunday, December 4, 2011

Close But No Cigar Part 2: Toxic Holocaust - Conjure & Command

I know in my heart that Conjure And Command (Relapse) isn't Top 40 material but I had a hard time cutting it because listening to Toxic Holocaust is just so damn fun! Joel Grind and company don't really stray from the classic TH sound but the production seems a little beefier. It also feels crisper and more focused. At just over 32 minutes the album doesn't overstay its welcome but at the same time, it doesn't leave you pining for more.  Turn it on, crank it up, and rock the fuck out for hour and change. Almost exactly the time it takes to drive to work and back. Perfect. It's a great driving album. As far as the neo-thrash wave goes, Toxic Holocaust are one of the more talented and consistent bands leading the charge. However, as much as I like thrash, other metal genres tickled my fancy enough this year that TH has been left out in the cold. I saw TH perform at a living room show a couple years ago. It ripped my tits off. The energy and intensity of that show came through on Conjure And Command but it just wasn't enough this year.


www.twitter.com/MetalMatt_KofN

No comments:

Post a Comment