Saturday, December 17, 2011

#34: Origin - Entity

Clocking in around 37 minutes, Entity (Nuclear Blast) delivers a technical death metal punch in the gut as opposed the Chinese water torture that I find much TDM to be. Where the gut-punch does the damage quickly but leaves a lasting impression, water torture is painful in its tedium and leaves you with nothing. A slow death by boredom. Usually in these blurbs I try to explain why I like an album. In this case, it might be easier for someone to explain to me why I like it. I can't seem to puzzle out why I like Origin but I have no patience for bands like The Faceless, Obscura, TesseracT, Periphery, Born of Osiris, and their ilk. Perhaps the answer is a puzzle. On Entity, Origin is able to take the pieces of technicality, brutality, and musical awareness and put them together in such a way that they fit and create something pleasing. But still wicked brutal. And in some of those other bands, the pieces don't fit together properly. Or are missing altogether. They remind me of the character of "Stewart" on Mad TV. He says, "Look what I can do!" and just flails around and impresses no one but himself. Origin weaves their unfuckwithable musical ability into the fabric of the songs. It's there. It's undeniable. But it's the means to the end, not the end itself. I am totally appreciative of technical prowess, but I love brutal SONGS. Thankfully, Entity wins by TKO.

No comments:

Post a Comment