Wednesday, January 4, 2012

#13: Trap Them - Darker Handcraft

Image of Trap Them - Darker Handcraft (CD)
Few albums of 2011 had the energy or the stick-in-your-head-ness of Darker Handcraft (Prosthetic). I'm a sucker for that buzzsaw guitar tone and when that gets paired with some vicious hardcore swagger, it's a combination I can't resist. The machine gun (in slight slo-mo) riffs are supplemented with quick little fills, some jangliness and some massive riffs that would squash you flatter than an AT-AT. The anger portrayed in the vocals and their furious delivery are what I have tried to emulate all year. To very little success. The prospect of seeing Trap Them live some day sends shivers down my spine. I don't know if that day will ever come, but if it does, it's going on the calendar with a Sharpie. You know what I mean? Darker Handcraft also boasts this years winner of Riff Of The Year. I could listen to the riff that kicks in a 1:21 of closer "Scars Align" on repeat for hours. It's simple but highly effective. I don't listen to a lot of hardcore but maybe that's because not a lot of hardcore is as good as this.


www.twitter.com/MetalMatt_KofN

No comments:

Post a Comment