Thursday, January 19, 2012

2011 Record Label of the Year

The Second Annual Record Label of the Year, as decided by Kingdom of Noise, is awarded to.....Canada's own Profound Lore Records!!
 
The basis I use to determine the RLOTY is basically, the label that released the most albums on my Top 40 Albums of the Year list. This year the race wasn't even close. Profound Lore released a whopping 14 out of 41 albums on the list, including my Top 3! That's 34%!  Incredible! Now here's a label that knows how to pick 'em. Even the releases that didn't end up on my Top 41 were still solid, solid albums. Not a dud to be found. I can't say enough about founder Chris Bruni's ability to sign such amazing bands and get their music out there. Well done, sir. And thank you very, very much for making 2011 a great year for music.
 
I also have to mention the other labels that released multiple albums that made my Top 41. Last year's ranking in parentheses.
 
2nd Place, with 6 releases, Relapse Records. (1st. Relapse narrowly beat out Nuclear Blast and Season of Mist for last year's honour.)
3rd Place, with 4 releases, including 2 in the Top 10, Metal Blade Records. (T-4th)
4th Place, with 4 releases, Prosthetic Records. (5th)
5th Place, with 2 releases, Century Media.(Did not rank)
(If you count Megadeth and Cavalera Conspiracy (special mentions on my list) Roadrunner takes 5th with 3 releases.)
 
I have to give special mention to Gilead Media. I only discovered this label late in the year so I didn't get to spend very much time with the releases but their lineup is stellar. False, Barghest, Fell Voices, Ash Borer and Northless are all really good. Not to mention they distributed the vinyl version of my AOTY, Diotima by Krallice. (I think I saw the Yob LP on there too.) I look forward to seeing what Gilead has to offer for 2012.
 
I'd also like to thank the rest of the labels with releases that "charted".
Nuclear Blast, Seventh Rule, Earache, Reprise, Willowtip, Candlelight, E1, Indie, Tankcrimes, and although no album charted, Grindcore Karaoke.

www.twitter.com/MetalMatt_KofN

No comments:

Post a Comment