Saturday, December 6, 2008

Because I don't like EVERYthing

Just because it's metal doesn't mean it's good. I find this out the hard
way sometimes. At the same time, as Cronos from Venom said in Black Metal:
A Documentary, (basically)"If I had to listen to the worst corpse-paint
metal band in the world or fucking Britney Spears, I'd listent to the
fucking worst corpse-paint metal band in the world. Because I fucking love
metal".
Where am I going with this anyway? Right. Metal is better than everything
else but just because it's metal doesn't make it good.
That being said, here's some shit I listened to within the last 24 hours
that was exactly that. Shit.

Abigail Williams - In the Shadow of a Thousand Suns ( or some such bullshit
name, I forgot it already).
I am trying to like Black Metal, I really am but it's band like this
that turn me off of the sub-genre. I can handle the screechy vocales but I
can't do the theatrical, atmospheric shit. Too many keyboards and strings
(other than guitars). Can't do it. Turned it off after 2-3 songs.

After the Burial - Rareform
Better than the above but still shitty. First song, maybe 2, was kinda
deathcore/metalcore/whatevercore. Well executed but stale. Then I thought
my player went to another band. I checked, nope, still ATB. They went into
full-on Meshuggah-clone mode. Same choppy rhythms, exact same guitar tone.
Note to bands: You cannot do Meshuggah as good as Meshuggah, so stop trying
and get your own sound.

Cynic - Traced in Air
I don't even think I finished listening to 2 songs. Can't stand the
vocals. The high ones anyway. The low growls weren't too bad but I just
couldn't handle the high stuff. If it's another 15 years before they
release an album, that would be fine with me.

On a positive note.....2 bands I heard one song from today that I MUST
listen to the whole album: Zozobra and Helms Alee.

No comments:

Post a Comment