Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Coffins - Buried Death






























Tokyo's Coffins make me think twice about Japanese death metal. I never thought it would be so good! Plodding, evil guitars roll behind a menacing death growl that would have Chris Barnes crying with musical insecurity. I have no idea what the lyrics are about but I am going to guess they're somewhere in the area of death. lmao. These guys have been busy this year too. This full length, an EP and 2 splits. It was the split with XXX Maniak that actually turned me on to Coffins. They've been around since 1996 but have only released 3 LPs. 8 Splits though so it's not like they aren't writing. I love the mix! I can really hear the rumble of the bass and no one element is drowned out by any others. Some of the best parts of Buried Death are when they slow things right down to that doom/sludge pace. Just pummelling. It would be hard to keep this one out of my Top 40. It's that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment